SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet 35
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010

SouthernBreeze17 is on a distinguished road
Jeff,

Thanks for your opinion. I actually appreciate the negative comments, that's how I can evaluate my decision. I have a couple of questions:

HTML Code:
While you may be able to sail at windspeeds below 10 knots, the boat speed is so slow that you probably wouldn't sail if you had to get somewhere in a reasonable period of time
What do you call "slow"? That was my original question, what speed can be expected below 10 knots? What's acceptable to me, may very well be different than what's acceptable to you.

HTML Code:
compared to boats with more efficient keel configurations
I agree, I am not particularly enamored with the "low density" keel. I have heard that some IPs simply had pieces of scrap iron dumped in the keel and encapulated. What boats do you consider to be more efficient? If that is a 8 to 9 foot fin keel, then it is simply not reasonable along the west coast of FL and the Bahamas (my intended cruising area). I am in the purchasing decision mode, so I'm open to suggestions. How would you compare it to a Caliber 35?

HTML Code:
I would suggest that you charter one and sail the daylights out of it
In what universe can I charter something that doesn't say Benehuntalina or Juno on the side?

Thanks
Southern Breeze
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook