SailNet Community - View Single Post - Standard Horizon GX2100 AIS VHF
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I just started getting "the itch" for an AIS receiver. Although I'd prefer to keep my electronics simple, the large amount of commercial traffic on the Delaware River could make AIS a real safety improvement. I don't want to become another Duck boat tragedy.

The SH GX2100 caught my eye because it avoids the need for a separate antenna and/or a splitter. Plus, my current radio lacks DSC, so replacing the radio is a good idea, so might as well get VHF and AIS in one box.

In this document it looks like the GX2100 wants to feed the DSC and AIS output on separate ports and at different baud rates.

However, it looks like SH has recently announced a new model:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Standard Horizon 2011, new everything!

Blue Water Bound Marine

The descriptions are a little misleading - and no mention of it on the Standard Horizon website yet. Do they still feed DSC and AIS out on different ports, but can slow down the baud rate for AIS? Or can the new model actually multiplex the DSC and AIS onto the same NMEA port?

The Garmin 640 that I'm considering has only two NMEA inputs, and I'd like to reserve one for depth, so if the new GX2150 combines DSC and AIS into one output, I'd definitely wait for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook