SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who taught themselves how to sail?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011

Ramin is on a distinguished road
Always learning

I started sailing beach cats 8 years ago. I am looking for my first mono now. My first time on a beach cat was with a guy I didn't even know on Texas City Dike aboard a Hobie. A week later I baught a Nacra 5.0. I thaught it was a peice of cake and in about 20 nots of wind and high waves and no knowledge of what I was doing, I burried a hull and practically flipped the boat the first time out trying to make it go as fast as I could. I learned that a hull peircing the water wants to go slower than the rest of the boat still in the air. I lived and slowed down and learned how to balance the boat better. Later I again wanting to push it to the limits learned that diamond wire can break and got demasted a mile out and shamefully had to be pulled in by a jet skier. Luckily my buddy and his wife were uninjured in the explosion of the wire snapping and the mast slamming down. I learned about proper maintenance that day. I got a Prindle and sailed both boats off and on learning what I could when I could, and really feel I know nothing compared to everybody I meet. I will no doubt be learning for ever. But this goes to prove that if a slow redneck like me can just get out there and do it....you most certainly can.

Now I am 40, have a wakeboard boat and am looking to get a coastal cruiser. I can wakeboard better than any of my 5 kids "or thier friends", and cant wait to apply all I have learned to the mono hull. I especially can't wait to learn about a spinnaker. I've never had one, but love the way they look when they are flown. Good luck to you and your future attempts. I hope to see you on the water. I'll be in a boat named Redneck Sailor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook