SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco

The decision was made yesterday to hold the AC in San Francisco. Quite frankly, I'm stoked! Simply from an aesthetic prospective, I think it will be a spectacular venue. I shot the picture I use as my avatar of Ellison's AC boat from land (SF's "City front"). It was taken when he challenged Allingi in SF. I have other shots where you can actually see the entire bottom of the cockpit, including the crew's feet, in the middle of a tack! I know that some other knowledgeable SF sailors (who know a lot more about the AC and racing than I do), don't think it will be a great venue. If the races are held in the bay (not offshore), they cite the shallow depths, the narrow width of the bay and shipping traffic as potential problems. Even given the fact that they will be using multi hulls, I can't understand that the width (roughly 4 - 5 nautical miles, with a couple of islands in between) and depth will be a problem. In fact, I would think it would be an exciting tack & gybe fest. Isn't that what people want to see? The Summer wind in SF is usually a predictable 15 - 20+ knots in the afternoon. Thoughts?

Last edited by L124C; 01-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook