SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
The little club that could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm really becoming disenfranchised with the Cup altogether. So many teams just dropping out already, given the insurmountable cost to compete. I've heard that Allison has lost BMW as a sponsor, but he could write the checks himself.
While I'm partial to Newport, being my own sailing grounds, it would have at least been an emotional tip of the hat to what the race was all about. It seems to have been hijacked. No underdog will even get to enter.
Rumor in Newport has been that he bought a mansion and joined a yacht club here just so that he could be threatening to SF as he negotiated. No one ever believed it would come home.
Ironically, there is an underdog element to the story. For the NZ Americas Cup campaign, the obvious Bay Area yacht club to sponsor Ellison for the challenge was the St. Francis YC in SF. Probably not a big deal by East Coast standards, but certainly one of the most prestigious YC's on the West Coast. Apparently, Ellison wanted more power on the board than the St. Francis was willing to give him. So...Ellison went a quarter of a mile down the road to the Golden Gate YC, a little blue collar club. At the time, the Commodore was a radiator repairman and the GGYC was on the ropes financially. They must have been really happy to see Larry walk through the door! As I recall, to be "sponsored" each member of Ellison's crew had to join the club at $1000 per person, not to mention the other obvious perks of "sponsorship" for a little nondescript club. I remember a picture of some of the members being whisked off to watch the race in NZ. They looked like deer in the headlights, still not quite believing what was happening! The GGYC is still Ellison's "sponsor" today, and and I smile every time I hear the club mentioned in reference to the AC! I suspect the folks at the St. Francis don't have the same reaction!

Last edited by L124C; 01-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook