SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad for GPS
Thread: Ipad for GPS
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
So there is some historical reason for confusion here. Many devices in the past have been described as having GPS when they weren't actually communicating with the GPS satellite systems. And many devices can provide location information without it - for example the original iPhone.

But, as of today, nearly every cell phone and smart phone has a true, satelite based GPS chip, including the current iPhones and iPad...

...So what you'll see with an iPhone or iPad in the middle of the ocean is a device that's not exactly designed to be there. I suspect it's algorithms are optimized to leverage wireless data and will be surprised to fine none. The iPad will absolutely lock your location, it will just do it slowly.
You seem to be saying that all models of iPad, including the WiFi-only versions, have a GPS satellite chip in them. Can you confirm that this is true? If I get one, this fact will greatly affect which model I select.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook