SailNet Community - View Single Post - yanmar alternator wiring....help!
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Lester 7973N comes up as a replacement for a Delco CS130 alternator:

WAI Global Part Details

Call DelcoRemy at 1.800.372.0222 (They actually talk to civilians without complaint!) the unit is obsolete so it isn't on their web site any more.

WAI are actually wholesalers, if you have a business with a tax ID# they are a great source for systems and parts (i.e. diode rack) way below retail prices.

The CS130 was apparently superceded by the CS130D and there is a CS130DSE, SE for self-excited, i.e. your one-wire hookup. Delco alternators (Delcotrons) will maintain a tightly regulated 14.3-14.3 volts when used in the normal sense wire configuration, turning it into a 1-wire is cruel and unkind to your batteries.

I did find a note at How to Wire a GM External Regulated 10DN alternator, Delco Remy External Regulated Alternator Wiring that IF YOU CONNECT THIS ALTERNATOR WITHOUT A RESISTANCE or lamp in the "L" wire, you WILL BURN OUT THE INTERNAL REGULATOR. So don't hook up too hastily. The idiot lamp marked "L" is critical, not optional, and while you are in there this could be a good time to replace that lamp, just in case.

Here's a link with diagrams of some wiring options:
Delco Remy CS130 & CS121 Series Alternator Repair Manual, Page 3

You can use a sense wire with two batteries, if you use a battery switch that has the extra "field" wire switching. Run the sense lead to the second set of contacts, instead of the field wire, so it switches batteries when the main power switches. (And of course, don't switch while the engine is running.)

Last edited by hellosailor; 01-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook