SailNet Community - View Single Post - cockpit enclosure
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We have complete enclosures around the entire cockpit. They are made in sections that zip together and are all clear plastic. Its nice to have sections, because I can install as many or few as I like. If raining, I often put the first section in behind the dodger so that passengers can all stay out of the rain. The dodger and bimini do have an overhead attachment that is solid canvas, so with that first side section, its pretty dry. Also, with sections, we can unzip the side but not the top and roll it up to allow for entry/exit without full removal.

It really extends the usefulness of the boat in the northeast as the sun really warms the cockpit with all the panels in. Sometimes too much. When it actually becomes warm outside, it will begin to encourage mildew. We don't use the panel during the height of the summer other than for rain.

As a real treat, we actually have a few panels that are made with vinyl screens that we can trade for the clear plastic. Seems like a great solution to bug problems, but we've never gone through the effort.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook