SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor talk - Old vs. New Generation
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011

BrianFortress is on a distinguished road
Anchor talk - Old vs. New Generation

It might be fair to say that nothing stirs up more controversy and differing opinions in boating forums around the world than a discussion about anchors.

The most heated of all topics appears to be when the "old" generation anchors are compared with the "new" generation models.

The "old" generation CQR seems to take the worst beating from those who are touting the "new" generation models.

As a competitive anchor manufacturer, I'd like to toss in my two cents worth:

Yes, the CQR did not perform admirably well in two extensive and independently verified tests that Fortress was involved with years ago in the sand bottoms of Miami and in the soft mud bottoms of San Francisco Bay.......

BUT

I have personally spoken with hundreds, if not thousands of CQR and other "old" generation (i.e. Bruce, Delta, Danforth) anchor owners who have been very satisfied by the performance of their anchors in a wide variety of wind & bottom conditions that they have encountered all over the world.

In fact, two widely respected boating experts, Elbert Maloney and Tom Neale, have both successfully used CQRs aboard their boats for decades.

Elbert Maloney, 91 years young, was the long time author of Chapman Piloting & Seamanship, and Tom Neale is also a noted author who has lived aboard since 1979 with his wife Mel, and they log 3,000-5,000 miles per year.

I suspect that based upon their first hand "real world" experiences, both of these gentleman would take issue with anyone who disparaged the CQR anchor.

With the above in mind, I have nothing but a deep respect for ALL of the "old" generation anchors.

May I humbly suggest to the "new" generation anchor manufacturers that they offer the same?

Be safe,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors

Last edited by BrianFortress; 01-06-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook