SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor talk - Old vs. New Generation
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Talk: On my 30 ft sailboat I have a 15# danforth, fortress 16 and 37, 15 kg bruce and a 15 kg rocna. I also own a 35# CQR. For my area, super soft mud off the Neuse River, the 37 is my storm anchor. I have helped anchor and recover many boats for storms. I have seen different types fail due to, IMHO, operator error. Learning what a well set anchor feels like is hard to describe, it must be learned. I have also anchored 100’s of times from the Chesapeake to Key West. The bruce has been the best all around anchor I have used. Easy to deploy, easy to feel, not perfect but what anchor is? I have not used the rocna yet but will be using it on my up coming trip south and will evaluate its performance.
I have found the CQR to be hard to feel. I believe an anchor can be to large/heavy. Gasp. Maybe the issue here.
In general the shape of the new generation anchors, and for that matter the danforth/fortress and bruce, just make more sense to me than the plow, CQR/delta. The CQR is staying home for this next trip. Everyone’s experience is different but how will we ever know unless we try some of the new designs?
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook