SailNet Community - View Single Post - cockpit enclosure
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SD - regarding the use of boltropes and tracks I would tend to disagree. While I agree that they will tension better and be more secure, we sometimes need quick access to a small section on the other side of the enclosure. We use studs and can just undo one stud. If we had boltropes and tracks we'd have to take apart one or more pieces of the enclosure in order to get to the other side. We carry several spare studs with us to replace broken ones, but we've only broken a couple in the several years we've had Pelican. Just my two cents.

Copa is right - when the sun is up it can get really warm and humid inside the enclosure. Make sure there is some sort of airflow inside. I guess if I was predominantly in the tropics I'd get the screen inserts. When we were in the tropics, we'd mostly use our enclosure when it was raining out, though, and obviously screens won't do too much to keep the rain out. Like SD, we've also been out when it was 20 degrees but sunny and been toasty warm inside the enclosure. It doesn't get too terrible inside our enclosure until the temps are up in the low eighties.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook