SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good news: Pac garbage patch much smaller
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
John, good post.
This is a paragraph taken from the article:

Another way to look at it, White said, is to compare the amount of plastic found to the amount of water in which it was found. “If we were to filter the surface area of the ocean equivalent to a football field in waters having the highest concentration (of plastic) ever recorded,” she said, “the amount of plastic recovered would not even extend to the 1-inch line.”

It sounds like if you seined a football field size patch (very fine mesh) 1 foot deep you would end up with 160' X 1' X 1" of plastic. But what do they mean by surface? If you seined it 20' deep, I would think it would be much less plastic per sq ft.

As you likely know I'm constantly having to go through a great deal of misleading information regarding our ocean environment, so this interests me.

Also...our football fields are 195' wide, so it's a bit misleading for Canadians. Our football field would likely include areas of less concentration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 01-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook