SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good news: Pac garbage patch much smaller
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I saw it on that site, sorry you don't like the title. Any comments on the content?

Nice boat by the way.
It is interesting but I would like to see more data. Hard to comment with a lack of data.

This is from the researcher's website:
Quote:
In August-September of 2008, I participated in the C-MORE funded Survey of Underwater Plastic and Ecosystem Response (SUPER) cruise. The objective of this cruise was to locate and sample the microbial communities and biogeochemical properties associated with the Pacific plastic patch between Honolulu, Hawaii and Port Hueneme, California. At each of the 15 stations along our cruise track, I deployed a LISST -100X (Laser In-Situ Scattering and Transmissometry, Sequoia Scientific ™) to characterize total particle load and particle size distributions. Additionally, I deployed a Satlantic free-fall profiling device to analyze the inherent (scattering, absorption and fluorescence) and apparent optical properties of the upper water column (<150m). Given the low concentrations of plastic debris observed along this transect cruise (<5 pieces/cubic meter), it is unikely that the transmittance of light or the growth of suspended microbes was impacted by plastic debris. Nonetheless, we did observe several instances where the feeding tubes of Vellela vellela which were obstructed by small pieces of plastic. These cnidarians and other indiscriminate feeders are particularly vulnerable to ingestion of plastics. Lastly, we observed several instances of species non-endemic to the open ocean residing on floating debris. In this regard, plastic in the marine environment may represent a vector for the passage of invasive species across ocean basins.
So, this claim is based on a single transit of the "garbage patch". I would like to see more data.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375

Last edited by Allanbc; 01-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook