SailNet Community - View Single Post - On my way to being a real sailor
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-09-2011 Thread Starter
WorldMotography

On my way to being a real sailor

Hello to All,

I have only spent a week on a sailboat. And I don't own a boat. Yet still I am on my way to joining live aboard community.

I have spent a bunch of time away from 'real life.' (No, I was not in prison.) I spent a couple years (on&off) living and travelling on my motorcycle. Yes, you can downsize enough to fit your life on a motorcycle. I figure moving onto a massive 32' boat will be a great change. And another great way to see the world.

I work construction. It pays well and gives me time off. 1 month on 1 month off kind of work. Sometimes 3 months on and then the contract ends. This work is far away from any marina though. I figure this type of schedule will fit in nicely with the sailing/live aboard world.

I acquired my pilots license when I was 17, picked up my class 1 license just out of college and damn it, I can learn to sail too. I have my canadian boaters license (which means I know to bring a flash light with me and wear a PFD) but more importantly I also have a VHF license. And I can tie about 20 knots. I can also fix houses, motorcycles, engines and anything else that you can hit with a hammer. I can also be very 'frugal.' I figure I am close to being a sailor now . I just don't know how to sail.

Of course I have been reading the posts here, but please feel free to remind me or enlighten me on anything prudent.

I really like the Hunter Visions. I'll end up with anything decent under 40k though.

Also, I really love my motorcycle. I would love to take her with me. Is that too much to ask?

Suerte,

Jeff
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome