SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why fuel filters must be changed
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Not quite! The enzymes DISSOLVE (disperse) the fungal colonies and puts the very small sized 'debris' into solution so that it can easily pass through common 'filters'.

Not quite! A LOT of the water in fuel is in an emulsified state (finely divided on a non-visible macromolecular scale held between the fuel molecules) plus molecular (sized) water due to chemical equilibrium ... and the biologicals can extract their needed 'water' directly from the partly water saturated fuel and don't need 'free' water in the bottom of the tank.
;-)
Not quite! Dispersed (not dissolved) colonies are not DEAD colonies. They can repopulate the system. Filters cannot remove all bacterial, because individuals are sub-micron.

Not quite! I said no water, and I really meant free and emulsified, since that is all a sailor can see. Bacteria cannot use true dissolved water (single molecules) at rates large enough to cause growth; it needs to be in larger packages (micron size is enough) for colonies to form. But the point is often unimportant; if the fuel is close to saturation, free water will form due to temperature cycling unless the boat is used and a good dispersing additive is present.

Just playing with you! Everything you said was "almost" true.

The central point is that the OP understand that 1/2 cures lead to repeat troubles.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook