SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Very unseamanlike incident this morning

5K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Izzy1414 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share a little story that happened this morning.
OK, first off I'm not telling this story on the web. But remember the story of the guy that survived for a long period of time floating around the ocean in a large fish tote after loosing his boat. I can't find that story through any of my Googling :confused: . In any case, I had been curious about the stability of that tote with no ballast.

Well...this morning two of us made the same unseamanlike mistake at the same time resulting in my first hand experience floating in a fish tote with a makeshift oar (piece of broken and rotten wood plank). So, I just have to say that these totes or at least this tote was very very unstable with just me in it. I didn't try sitting down low because I had to row but I think it would have likely made a big difference. In any case, even in calm seas it was a little tipsy to say the least but it did work and everything worked out in the end and I did get the boat back. :p

#5 ·
Please tell me that someone got pictures:)) Glad it worked out OK Steve.
No pictures John, thank goodness for that. But in all honesty we all make mistakes and for me, maybe more than the average. A photo would have been good for posterity/validity purposes. At least I got my mistake over with so early in the year. Now I can start with a nice clean slate for the rest of the year.

#3 ·
How was the water temp???? Did you stay dry?

#7 · (Edited)
Well OK I'll give you a bit more info just so no one else makes the same mistake, although I doubt very much anyone here would be so stupid as to do this. :(

There were two of us in a 22' aluminum centre console open power skiff...I was driving behind the console and the other guy was ahead of me. When we got to a float which had something on it that sparked our interest very much, we both stepped off with our back to the boat. Needless to say, no one tied up the boat and the rest of the story needs no words but me being the driver, I can't help feel that somehow in some way I may have been at fault. :eek: ...lesson learned.

The float had a tote on it and some old lumber. So it was either go swimming or use the tote, I chose the tote.

#8 · (Edited)
Confession is good for the soul...thanks for owning up...we all make stupid f'ing mistakes...(SFM syndrome). You survived your latest one..hope I survive my next one...(hope you survive your next one too and those reading do too)...Once again....I think all of us admire and appreciate your honesty....be safe out there and turn the page...

#9 ·
Very well said and thanks. Both of us involved spend more time floating around than glued to the land, so although neither of us were in any real danger out of our control (this time), I think complacency must have played a role somewhere here. Turn the page as you say, but remember the past.

#11 ·
Probably just as well there aren't any pictures, the one I've got in my mind is priceless! I could see this turning into an annual event in Campbell river, fish tote races:))
When all was done and I was finally back in my proper boat, we both had a good laugh at ourselves. the parting words from my friend in the other boat was "I'm telling everyone" followed by a little chuckle so I certainly won't hear the end of this any time soon...what the hey, sheet happens :( :) .

Your mental image is likely not far off the actual image.

#16 ·
Needless to say, no one tied up the boat and the rest of the story needs no words but me being the driver, I can't help feel that somehow in some way I may have been at fault. ...lesson learned.
Twenty years ago, a rookie and I were patrolling the South Fork of the Skagit River one frosty January night in a 14' Lund. We pulled up along the bank to walk in to spot we wanted to check. After checking the spot, we went back to the boat and it was gone. There was a bridge downstream about three miles, so we hoofed it down a road that parralleled the river to see if we could beat the boat downstream. We made it to the bridge in short order with neither of us having a heart attack and then waited for the boat to arrive. It did not. While waiting, we discussed at length who tied up the boat. Each believed the other had done it. $h1t happens.

#19 ·
How long did it take you to find it???

#20 ·
it was daylight the next morning. Stuck in some branches about 100 yards downstream from where we lost it. Anyway, I didn't want Steve to feel lonely. Mission accomplished, I hope.

#22 ·
it was daylight the next morning. Stuck in some branches about 100 yards downstream from where we lost it. Anyway, I didn't want Steve to feel lonely. Mission accomplished, I hope.
I feel much better Ray, thanks for sharing :) . See, no one looses rep points by coming clean, it can only have a positive result...I think. :confused:

#26 ·
I think this thread is going 'way off topic. Otter needs to tell us exactly how he ended up floating for more than eight hours hours in a heavily-trafficked west-coast port sitting in his own pink- striped fish-tote with a case of tequila before we start making up how it happened and how less than half the tequila was recovered.

#28 ·
Unfortunately I can't tell the whole story but I will tell you no alcohol was involved. It did involve a camera with a completely full SD card ie: no photos, and a wild animal strikingly similar to my avitar.

The tote was blue and I'm not sure where the bow is, so I don't know how to christen her. Additionally, I would rather not waste a good bottle of champaign on a stinky old blue tote, I could never do that. :D

#29 ·
It did involve a camera with a completely full SD card ie: no photos
OK, Bilge, now the excuses are gettin' weak. You mean you had a full SD card and couldn't find at least a few pics you could delete? Somebody's just not wantin' documentation. ;) :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.