SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sad - Boat fell off its stands
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Sad - Boat fell off its stands

I saw this in a neighboring boat yard the other night. I passed by today just before sunset, so I was able to snap a couple pics with my cell phone. I really hope this is not vandalism (which unfortunately has happened at this unsecured yard). Based on the fresh coat of light grey paint on the bottom and tip of the bow, I think this had been a nice restoration job in progress. The shallow keel looked OK, centerboard was sticking down slightly and is flexed and perhaps out of alignment, but probably not ruined. As you can see, rudder shaft is bent. Also, it looks like one of the shrouds pulled off its chainplate (or the chainplate released/broke). But to my naked eye, it all looks fixable.

I immediately went to my own boat to double-check the stands and chains.

Those of you on the east - be sure to clear the snow off if you're in the water. Last year there were lots of casualties from (power) boats that tipped over sideways because they were topheavy, or exhaust pipes that fell below the waterline from the weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook