SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sad - Boat fell off its stands
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Well that sucks! It looks like the yard used concrete blocks which I thought was a big no no? I wonder if the yard cold be at fault? Um...
I'm not sure how that yard operates - whether their staff is fully responsible for blocking, or they ask the owner to be present to assist with placement (like they do at my boat club). I know that they provide the stands. I almost put my boat there, but backed out at the last minute because I was concerned about security and I found a boat club that was so much cheaper I could afford to buy my own brand new stands (since the boat club does not provide them) and still break even in my first year.

I noticed the concrete blocks too, but it was not at all clear whether they were in use, or just stacked beneath the boat. However, the boat did appear to come into contact with them when it fell.

That's a good catch about the four stands on a boat that needs seven. That might call into question the quality of the yard's services. I was not willing to get close enough to the "leeward" side of the boat to see whether there were broken chains, powerboat stands instead of sailboat (a common problem that I see), or other root causes. It sure looks like there was no stand on the bow., though.

I did get close enough to the "windward" side to notice that the freshly painted bottom (and tip of the bow) had no missing spots where the pads had been, so it is likely the owner relocated the pads to facilitate painting. If true, he would likely own some of the liabililty.

It's such a shame. You can see that he had very carefully constructed a wood framework to support his tarp, and the portions of the tarp that had not pulled away were carefully cut and re-taped around the mast and shrouds. Not a high-end custom canvas by any stretch, but clearly a sign of an owner who was working to take care of his boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-12-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook