SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and Cons of using a Broker
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Pros and Cons of using a Broker

You don''t want a buyers broker for a small easy to find boat like that. But if you get involved with one it''s no big deal either.

While Sabre''s in general are OK boats the 28 is too small. It is kind of cute and yachty but there are many boats out there in the 30'' range that are not expensive, a little bigger than the Sabre 28 and which sail a lot better. The Sabre 28 is short on sail area which is needed for LIS.

Just some boats in the same price range that I like better are the Pearson 30, C&C 30 and the Tartan 30. Don''t think that a smaller boat is easier to handle. The quicker motion of the small boats makes them less safe too.

If you have access to all the specs of all the boats you are intersted in fine. So then you can compare sail area/displacement ratios, length displacement ratios etc. If this is too much bother then just find the site for PHRF. PHRF is the sailboat handicap system for racing. The smaller the number the faster the boat. The PHRF of the Sabre 28 is 198 which puts in into the slow catagory. Our last boat, a C&C 30 is a 174 and our present boat a 35'' is rated at 129. There is a big difference between a boat rated around 200 and a 129 boat.

Some broker will tell you "thats a good boat" translation "I stand to make a quick commmission on that one"

I have never needed a broker. It''s easier than buying a used car as the buyer has the surveyor to help him.

There are many other boats besides the few I mention. Those are 3 good ones however that are not expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook