SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
NMEA over Bluetooth

[NOTE: Before posting questions and responses to this thread, first read this other thread that gives more details of the completed project. Some of your questions might already have been answered.]

I am starting to buy the components (Seatalk cables, Seatalk/NMEA converter, baud rate converter) needed to get my instruments to talk to each other via NMEA. I would like to send the NMEA signal to a Netbook wirelessly via Bluetooth.

The most popular Serial-Bluetooth adapter seems to be one by IOGEAR (GBS301), but people complain that it does not support DTR/DSR handshaking. My RS232 skills are about 20 years rusty, and I'm brand new to NMEA, so I'd like to know if this will be a problem. Have any of you actually done NMEA over Bluetooth, and if so did you use the IOGEAR device?

Another device I'm considering is this, which offers the advantage of drawing its power from a USB cable:

Serial Bluetooth RS232 port adapter

Is anyone familiar with that one? Other suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-20-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook