SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 55 1988/90 is she good for serious oceans crossing???
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
My wife and I have sailed our Tayana 55 over 12,000 miles in the last 3 years from Puerto Rico to Canada and back and then a Caribbean circumnavigation, most of the time without crew. We will probably take a couple of crew for the planned transatlantic in 2012 but that is still to be decided.

Worst weather was a F9 off New Jersey and I went to bed while my wife took her own single handed watch. The boat handled the 20 ft waves with ease.

We have a slab reefing main with 4 reefs but only 3 rigged and we usually are very conservative reefing early and rarely fly the 2000 sqft asymmetric. However, the only time the size of the boat is a real problem is docking nose or stern in without assistance on the dock, no rub rail to lay against the posts and a nice paint job. Especially since the bow thruster quit about 4 months ago

I am 62 and I might buy a roller furling main for my 70th birthday.

She is a fantastic live aboard but expensive to maintain, the quote for a new teak deck was $40,000 but we had the old teak removed and relayed, it was still 6-7mms thick, in Cartagena for $4,000. The deck and core beneath the teak was in perfect condition and we now have a functionally new teak deck.

However, it is easy to be seduced by the accommodation and no realize that she is not a boat for beginners, we have seen that happen and the boat was back on the market within 6 months.

We intend to keep and sail her until we are ready for assisted living.

Phil & Nell

Last edited by Yorksailor; 01-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook