SailNet Community - View Single Post - Simple question, but still a question:keel repair
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcn17 View Post
Hi,
Purchased a pearson 31 this fall, have not sailed her yet. There was no wood placed under the keel on the cradle, and the very bottom (of the keel) has some damage that I can see. I would like to fiberglass it this spring but not sure what the best approach to reach the bottom of the keel would be? The boat needs to be raised to access the damage, that is for sure. Do I ask the marina (skipper buds) if I they can lift it and leave it on the sling over-night for me? I was thinking maybe they could leave it in the sling for me the night before launch and I could repair it then?
Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris
If you are going to do a repair that will last, it'll take more than one night to do. Typically you'll want three layers of glass or epoxy, followed by two paint, depending on just what you are fixing. You should allow a week do do something like that, as the weather can matter also.

You probably should have the boat reblocked so you can get at what you need to access.