SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the bow thruster an aphrodisiac?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
OsmundL,

I think it does change people (or they were/are different from the beginning).
While I have great friends in MoBo's it seems that many are there for different reasons than those who sail - In discussions on running generators, and/or just making lots of noise it seems that the spirit is fundamentally different between the two camps - one simply cannot understand the others point of view.
Not saying that I'm right, I tend to enjoy the sounds of nature and watching the bow wave even when going very slow, but (some of) my MoBo friends cannot stand that and want's me to turn on the engine ASAP and would also prefer loud music to the sound of the birds in an otherwise quiet anchorage.

On bowthrusters...
[RANT]
I hate the things, it seems that people with those cannot perform even the simplest maneuvers without using them for extended periods of time. Last year someone woke me from my beauty sleep (we'd been sailing for 20+ hrs) using the thruster for like 10 minutes (at least I managed to wake up, complain about him, get into the cockpit and watch him for a while, wondering what the heck he was trying to accomplish - he was the only boat on a long quay with a light onshore breeze which the next person used to dock without a sound, and touching the quay so lightly you could have used eggs as fenders...
[/RANT]
That is - all to often seamanship is being replaced with gadgets..