SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to sailing; "Your" wisdom and advice is heeded
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006

RocDoc is on a distinguished road
New to sailing; "Your" wisdom and advice is heeded

Hi All,

I am new to sailing, but have been around boats and the ocean since I was very little (I am 43 now). I have been lurking, reading posts, many posing the very same questions I have; and learning. I noticed something about myself as I've become adsorbed with the sailing world; at first I recognized that obviously I needed to learn on a smaller boat (currently looking at a fixer-upper Catalina 22) then move up. But that devil on my shoulder..."you can afford something bigger, why start small only to wish you had something bigger?"

As a long time motorcyclist, I've given the very same advice to new riders that "you" have been giving to us sailing newbies. Start small, learn the basics first! Don't run out and buy that 190mph 1000cc sportbike, you will not develop (or perhaps even survive) into the motorcyclist that enjoys the sport for a lifetime.

So, I say to "you", thanks for knowledge, and wisdom, and I look forward to lifetime of learning and enjoying the art of sailing.

Doug
Huntington Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook