SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 38 pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Catalina 380

My family and I lived aboard and cruised Florida in a Catalina 380. I think there are a number of changes between the two boats (ours was a 2001), but I think the hull was the same??? If so, I can tell you that it does do well in bad weather. We went through 10-15 foot seas for 27 hours and although we did not enjoy it and were popping ginger pills, we were never slung around like the other 2 boats that were following us. The waves are not as tall as the pacific where it always seems to be long rollers, but the gulf seems to have very steep (square) waves that really put your footing to a test. I think with many modifications, your boat would be fine if it is like the 380.

As far as dockwise goes, I have heard good things about them also. Friends have used them. If you are a little flexible on the timing of it, you might get a good deal (which will still be many thousands of dollars).

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook