SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to sailing; "Your" wisdom and advice is heeded
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
New sailing thoughts

The catalina 22 is a good boat and popular day sailer and starter-boat. I do not know what your budget is, but a catalina 250 (fixed keel) might be even better. Try and put it in a slip (versus trailering) adn you will find you use it vastly more. I owned a 250 for a short while and it is a fun to sail boat. The only negative of the smaller boats is they will not have big boat sytems. Also, if you are planning on anchoring out and live in a hot location, you will find the summer unbearable as a/c is not a really good options (even hatch mount) on a boat that small. I am no accountant, but if you did get a 250, you should be able to write off the interest (second home) on your taxes. Might make the price a little more bearable.

FYI: After the 250, we went to a 320, then 380, and now a catalina 400. I am a fan of their boats and are a very good value in a very expensive lifestyle (notice I did not say hobby)!!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about their boats. I know them pretty well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook