SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navigating with GPS and other means?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Now the question is; How many of you rely 100% on the GPS?
How many of you use the GPS as a tool and use a secondary means of Navigation. (Coast Piloting/celestial)
What do you mean by 'rely 100%'? Most / all of my sailing is done within site of land. I have only been out of site of land a few times when it was foggy or very hazy and I was far out, or it was dark and I wasn't familiar with the lights on shore.

Whenever I am out of my harbor, my chart plotter will be on and displaying my location, speed, heading, etc. I won't have a paper chart out or anything (but one will be close by). Since I'm not purposely going anywhere I can't really get lost. If I plan on anchoring somewhere new I certainly will look at the chart and study the plotter, but that's not navigation.

If I am sailing with a particular destination, my chart plotter is my main tool. I will have a route entered and active. I will use the ETE, Off Course alarm, and other electronic tools in the plotter to assist me. I will record my position, speed, and heading every hour in my chart book, as well as keeping my log updated. Since my routes usually take me from nav aid to nav aid, if the GPS went down it would be inconvenient, but not terrible.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook