SailNet Community - View Single Post - under Under $5k a year possible on Chesapeake Bay?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011
Walter

walterzoy is on a distinguished road
Live-aboard friendly Marina Baltimore $2,400 Chesapeake Bay

I like having a few live-aboards at the marina where I keep my boat. If I forget to close a hatch or the wind comes up, I do not have to drive down to Baltimore from my home in York PA. I call one of the liveaboards and chances are they have already taken care of my concern!

I keep my boat at Old Bay Marina where the Chesapeake and the Patapsco meet, about an hour drive from York. The marina owner allows a small number of liveaboards and gives them a break on the slip rent and liveaboard fees by only charging them a flat-rate $2,400.00 per year.

The marina owner does a background check on future liveaboards to make sure that only respectable folks are living full time on their boats - he says that he does not want to turn the marina into a floating Gypsy camp!

Liveaboards have gotten a bad name because of a small precentage of bad apples. All of the liveaboards that I have met are very interesting, educated, and helpful folks.

If I were not so old, I would consider living on my boat - no more grass to cut, no more property taxes, and lot less stress and a fun lifestyle!

Walter - Catalina 30 docked @ Old Bay Marina - Baltimore

Last edited by walterzoy; 01-15-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook