SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1984 Pearson 34
Thread: 1984 Pearson 34
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
The '89 Pearson 34 is a very different animal from the 83-86 Pearson 34.

I believe that the 34-2 came with a self tacking jib from the factory. This limited the jib choices, and you would loose a lot of fore deck space for the track. Every 34-2 that I looked at (I saw several) had the self tacking jib.

One structural difference is that the hull of the Pearson 34-2 is cored, both above and below the waterline. Pay VERY close attention to the hull exterior, looking for any signs of impact damage. It doesn't take much of an impact to allow water ingress to the core.

Here is a picture of two impacts to the hull of an '89 Pearson 34 -2 that I looked at:
I found clear indications of moisture starting from these subtle circles, which were 4" below the waterline, all the way down to the keel.

Personally, I like the interior layout with the separate shower stall, island berth and aft cabin (although the mirror backed liquor cabinet is a little over the top).
Here's the layout;

The deck construction, however is like that of most (all?) Pearsons; end grain balsa sandwich with FRP inner and outer layers. Stanchions had gaskets at their base, and the gaskets invariably failed after several years, leading to this;

Other than looking carefully at the interior / exterior, I would strongly suggest the purchase of a moisture meter if you are seriously interested in a Pearson 34-2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-16-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added Model year
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook