SailNet Community - View Single Post - Senior sailors ??
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006

Muckabout is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka
Happy B'day Muckabout. (FWIW, I'm exactly 10 yrs + 1 week younger). As we've gotten older, we switched to roller furling headsail & electric windlass. That's been the only change in the hardware dept acknowledging our diminishing strength. We reef earlier and sail flatter - in general a bit more cautious. We sail just about as *often* tho we plan shorter days when practical. Back injury makes me unable to walk as much as I used to, but since age has also made a little alcohol go a MUCH longer way, the money saved affords car rental in other cities LOL.

My *brain* doesn't feel any older, just my body - and the sea is just as beautiful.
Best wishes on your B'day too. O'boy if I were ten years younger and know what I know now would things be different. Sigh

I am starting to feel the effects of arthritis in the morning some of my fingers hurt and sometimes my ankles, standing for a long time hurts to bad. But, I am a champ at sitting. I used to jump up and scramble to the fore deck and change jibs or haul away on the anchor rode without giving it a moments thought, now I give it a lot of thought. Before I act.

A good martini would have me going to sleep in no time, an all night means I slept all night without getting up

Oh well, at least I am still here to complain about it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook