SailNet Community - View Single Post - Senior sailors ??
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
Muckabout -- first happy bday - they should all be celebrated in some special way and sure hope you did yours up right.
i am about 1 year behind you. I turn 61 in sept and currently have my house up for sale and plan on moving on my 40 Jeanneau and leave sometime after hurricane season.
I have only been sailing about 5/6 years and took it up after i got to old to do high altitiude mountain climbing and rock climbing and mountain search and rescue. I took that up in my 40s when most people quick and find that while it is physical a lot of it is also mental and the ability to overcome. That i find is what age and experience brings. the ability to look at things in a different way with the light of experience and the knowledge that we have nothing to prove. If we wait for better weather window so what, that is a good thing.
I went with in mast furling and made it so all the sailing can be handled from the cockpit as i will probably do mostly singlehandling. Someday i may put on electric winches for the main.
On the other side I must thank God for giving me a great body that repairs quickly and takes all the abuse that i can give it and it keeps on ticking plus a spirit to see what is on the other side of the horizon, hill, or what ever.
chuck and soulmates
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook