SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remodeling an older Sailboat
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011

srbigham is on a distinguished road
Question Remodeling an older Sailboat

I'm new to the site and thankful that I've found it. I seek expertise in remodeling a sailboat both in the cabin and the rigging. Any aquaitances that I can make in achieving my ends would be appreciated.

The boat that I have:

1974 Morgan OI 28 and it leaks from several unknown places above the water line. The boat, to my knowledge, has never seen blue water and has resided on a lake in central Texas since new. The boat has been in my family since 1978 and is due some major rework. As my father likes to say," I have many happy hours of work ahead of me". Finally, I currently live-aboard and do enjoy the space that it offers but would like a better cruising lay-out of the space that is available. The obvious is to buy a different boat that would suit my needs but I'm stubborn in that fact and don't like to get rid of something that has been sturdy and faithful. It has survived my adventures for now, so it must be close to indestructable.

After reading several threads concerning the Out Islander series from Morgan, both Pro and Con, is this a good blue water boat? I've sailed this boat in many differnt conditions on a lake and know that it's a pig in light air and she doesn't point to weather as many sleeker designs do. I'm looking to use this vessel to gain experience in the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico to enjoy the surrounding ports of call. Information concerning how other's have used the OI28 would be appreciated, as well as any tips concerning specific flaws and correction of these flaws will be helpful as I begin those Many happy hours to improve an old faithful hull to a vintage sailing vessel.

This being my first posting, I'll hold on any significant questions until I get what ever feedback can be obtained concerning this model of Morgan. Thank you for your input and knowledge base.

Sincerly,

Steve Bigham
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook