SailNet Community - View Single Post - Official Nervous Charterer Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011

snmhanson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of the replies. It is nice knowing that I'm not the only one who gets butterflies on occasion while chartering (and that even some of the old salts still get nervous from time to time). This will be my sixth charter in the BVIs so I know my way around pretty well and should feel pretty comfortable. I have taken the classes and logged several hundred miles in the BVIs, probably over 1,000 in all my sailing experience, so I guess I should realize that I am likely at least as capable as many of the other charterers down there. However, it's just normal for me to worry about what can go wrong and over analyze things. As previously said, that is probably a good thing when it comes to sailing, I think I may worry just a little too much...

The two main things I get overly anxious about are anchoring and navigating the entrance if we decide to head to Anegeda. On the other hand, I have picked up plenty of mooring balls in the past, sailed in fairly big wind and swell on a couple of trips, and last time the charter company made me back into the slip when returning the boat and I did fine. I think to overcome my hesitation on anchoring I am going to find a place to practice that is exposed to wind and some swell. If I can set an anchor there and get it to hold it should be not problem when in a protected anchorage. As far as Anegeda, we have ten nights down there and have an itinerary planned for nine nights not including Anegeda so we will just play it by ear. I suspect it isn't as tough as I am making it out to be - as long as you keep an eye on where you are and take it slow (but still fast enough to maintain steerage).

Thanks again for the responses. I felt a bit funny starting this thread as I didn't want to come off as some inexperienced schmo who woke up one day and decided to rent a boat. I just figured it would be nice to have a thread so that charterers who's nerves get to them can relate and realize that a bit of apprehension is normal. It certainly helped me to realize that I am in the same boat (no pun intended) as other charterers down there who only sail once every year or two. Maybe it will help others as well get over their nervousness.

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook