SailNet Community - View Single Post - About to buy a N33 -- getting cold feet?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011

sailorpilot is on a distinguished road
It's mine!

So, I bought it Dec 1. So far, I'm really pretty happy. I really like the layout and feel of the cabin (and all the teak), the cockpit size and layout, how its equipped for the most part. Have only been out a few times (either raining or no wind this time of year), but it sails great in light conditions. Have been working on cleaning up a few things: saloon table -- replaced the hinges with heavier SS and widened the split leg, making it much more stable (used cherry and stained it to match as teak is $30/bd-ft (!!) and hard to come by in small pieces around here); glued various bits of broken teak trim; Fixed the AC outlets that all had hot and neutral reversed; added GFCIs; bought a new water heater to replace the long-dead one, but haven't started that yet. The biggest issue are the various leaks -- rain is getting in around the port saloon windows (I think) and somewere in the V berth. This spring I'll pull the windows and rebed them, but I need to figure out if its getting through the rubber or bedding. Not sure what to do if its the rubber; the aluminum frames are one piece of extrusion formed around the plexi and molded gasket. Looks like you'd have to bend the frame open to get at the rubber gasket. Am thinking of doing the shop vac and bagging trick to chase down the leaks. The stove burners work, but the oven's dead, needing both a new control valve and mercury valve. Not sure that's worth fixing; only remanufacturing is available for my CNG parts ($$). The wiring is the patchwork mess I guess you'd expect on a 27 yr old boat, but its got a nice charger, and all the lighting works (found out the masthead and steaming lights were replaced with LED units). Chasing the wiring isn't easy with the full liner. Lots of smallish projects to do, but there don't seem to be any big problems, so I think I did pretty well.

Hellosailor -- What's a VPP?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook