SailNet Community - View Single Post - Biggest boat docked under sail
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
My biggest was a friend's 28', 8500 lb. boat that I sailed into it's slip after it's engine failed. The key is, don't try it if the wind speed and direction aren't right, and reduce sail area to keep boatspeed down. I usually prefer using the mainsail, rather than the jib, because you can lower the mainsail as far as necessary to minimize speed, and you have the ability to sail to windward, if necessary. You need to know how far your boat will carry, so you can drop all sail and coast the rest of the way, and have a boat hook ready, so that, if the boat stops before you get into the slip, you can reach out and hook it on pilings, and the docklines and pulpits of other boats, and work the boat into it's slip. (It's better to go too slow and come up short than to be going too fast and ramming the dock.) It's dangerous to sail into a marina sans engine, because you have no engine reverse, in case another boat blocks a fairway, so, use the boat horn to alert others that you have a problem, and that you're coming, and only do it if you have to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook