SailNet Community - View Single Post - Biggest boat docked under sail
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011

tb4244 is on a distinguished road
C&C 24 on the St Johns River- twice!

Until I saw this thread, I wasn't especially impressed with myself. In both cases, an outboard failed. Since then, we never leave the slip without being sure we have power.

In the first instance, I was on the tiller and my brother worked the jib as we sailed into the marina, between two piers and about a third into the slip. The wind could not have been more cooperative- gentle and even a slight change of direction for the final approach.

Six months later, I had replaced the outboard, but had fuel line problems. My wife worked the tiller and we used the main for power. The only negative was that the sail didn't drop as quickly as I hoped and we came in a little hot to the dock at the end of the pier. It didn't seem hot until I was trying to hold on to a piling and not go over the side. My brother in law had good intentions in the stern, but was a little shocked when the bicycle grip at the end of the boathook came off in his hand.

One great side benefit of the second event was how proud my wife was of her boat-handling skill, and rightly so. She was happy with the boat already, but it's been true love ever since.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook