SailNet Community - View Single Post - Powersailers for live aboard cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Powersailers for live aboard cruising??

I live in Virginia but as soon as my son changes schools next year I don't care to stay in the area so it time to start thinking about getting rid of my fishing boat and setting some plans in action. My wife and are singed up for sailing lessons this spring and we want to start shopping for a long term boat. I am no spring chicken so we have been looking into powersailers in the 45ft range. I am sure we would start out local sailing like the east coast and Bahamas but don't want to be tied down because of the size of boat. I would like to sail on the west coast as well on up to Alaska. Is there any downfalls that would stop me on a motorsailer. I see more regular sail boats out there when I see what other people are cruising in. Our budget for the boat is about 150K and I see alot of used nice boats in that range. One concern we had was docking fees while not cruising from Island to Island, Have had to pay plenty on my small center console when beeing charged by the foot. Is there a reason I don't see many powersailers on the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook