SailNet Community - View Single Post - ignition
Thread: ignition
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
1st, the plugs need to be grounded via the hex or threads and then you should see a tiny "blue" spark at the electrode. Personally, I like to hold it and jump j/k

2nd, the points will show a spark as they complete the circuit (goes to ground) and energizes (fires) the coil (primary coils) so it sparks (secondary coils), but that spark (points) isn't the spark you see at the plugs.

If the coil wire is sparking when it's close to a ground (needs an air gap/space) and is in fact firing when it's turning over, then the cap/rotor distance is usually too far apart. Matching a cap/rotor brand is very important.

A bad condenser can also cause this problem if it's a weak spark.

On top of all that, did you turn the distributor? (I hope not) That would also cause it not to fire properly. If that's the case, line up the timing mark on the front pulley/dampener w/ #1 (usually) on firing position and see if the rotor is pointing at that plug wire position. (just needs to be close)

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 01-19-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook