SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Off The Wall, Sea berth ?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  labatt 
#1 ·
Just Wondering When in a sea berth, sleeping during a Seaway do you tend to have your head toward the bow, or your feet?

#7 ·
I'd point out that which way you're head is pointed depends on the shape of the berth and the shape of your body. If you're in a berth head forward, and you hit something hard enough to cause you a concussion, you have other problems to worry about, since a boat moving at six-to-seven knots as most of the boats on this forum would be doing under a reefed mainsail at night, isn't going to move you much unless it hits an object that is moving at high speed....

#8 ·
I cannot sleep in the v-berth - way too much motion.

Saloon - head aft.

Aft cabin - head forward.

#9 ·
Forward cabin feet forward-shape plus bunk lights.Main Cabin feet aft towards hatch and galley-like to look at door!
Aft cabin feet aft-shape and bunk lights-although poss. both ways.
Prefer main cabin almost centre of boat.
If I was sharing bed with someone reverse would be true for both for and aft cabin.

#10 ·
I gather you're asking about when the boat is underway. I wouldn't have given it any thought except in one of my first overnight distance races, we hit a rock at 5 kts in the middle of the night (I was off-watch, for the record).

The boat was OK to continue the race, believe it or not, but one crew who had been sleeping head-to-bow slammed into the bulkhead and injured her neck. Since then, feet-forward for me.

#11 ·
I never sleep in the forepeak, in the saloon we have two bunks we use as pilot berths and we sleep feet-first, in the stern cabin we have an island berth which is also naturally a feet-forward attitude and we use that when we're sailing down-wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.