SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barefoot Yacht Charters St. Vincent: Never Again
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011
Michigan Marine Dealer

knotnow is on a distinguished road
Let me start with the fact that I know this company well. Both its office staff and the guys and gals that are part of their support crew have become friends. I have spent a lot of time at their base and have seen both very good charters and those with a consenting, know it all attitude.

I would like clarification on a couple of the OP concerns.

>>“Barefoot Yacht is outside of the protected harbor and waves roll over the reef and slam the boat around making loading and unloading dangerous.”

While technically correct, the trade winds generally are from the east making their docks in the lee of the reef. Not normally an issue. The dock crew is most always spot on assisting charters with loading and unloading of luggage and provisions. More so than I’ve seen anywhere else. If there is a swell there that you could experience a swell in just about any other westerly facing anchorage or lagoon.

>>”the windlass switch which caused the motor to switch on spontaneously and dump all the chain we had left (100+ feet) causing us to swing wildly in the harbor.”

I can’t see how with a proper snubber or bridle set one could pay out anymore effective scope. Seems worst case it might pile up on deck on a mono or between the hulls on a cat.

>>”The inverter was inoperable so charging cell phones, etc. was impossible.”

That really stinks and might have been a result of a prior charterer not adding that to the punch list. Either way that’s really unfortunate.

Repairs of any kind in the Grenadines can be a challenge. Especially in those neat little bays you mentioned. The area is pretty vast and with just a little cooperation and a quick divert maybe some of your concerns could have been taken care of.

Regards

Rick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook