SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 22
Thread: Alberg 22
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
The Alberg 22 is very good looking with it's traditional lines.
And with that full keel, she will track like a charm compared to a fin keel.

Do you guys know how small is the smallest sailboat that ever crossed the Atlantic Ocean? She was 5 ft long and made out of ply wood...I think her name was April fool. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the Alberg 22 can be pretty safe for off shore cruising even if she is on the small side. She have a good V hull shape so she will almost never pound when going up wind. She is not very beamy so she will heel alot but she will stiffens up at about 20 degrees, just like omaho5 said.
Yes, this boat will recover from a capsize, but be sure to close the companion way in heavy weather because it doesn't take a lot of water to sink a small vessel. (the smaller the boat, the bigger the pumps)

There is probably not enough space under the cockpit for a small inboard engine, but those small sailboat have a lazarette for the outboard engine, so your prop will stay under water.

If you compare the contessa's line with the Alberg 22, you will notice a resemblance...and the contessa26 is very sea worthy