SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Keel
Thread: Cal 21 Keel
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011

coldsteel is on a distinguished road
I have a 1972 Cal T4 that has a fixed keel with 2000 lb of lead at the bottom of the keel. When I had it hauled out 6 months ago I was concerned about the keel bolts because the boat is over 30 years old but she wasn't leaking like yours. I had the guys that were repairing my boat come in and drill down through the bilge to put self- taping threaded stainless steel rods, 8" long, into the lead keel and then had them put washers and stainless steel nuts on. They then encapsulated them in some sort of epoxy to keep the air and moisture out. I had them put two at each end and two in the middle for a total of eight. I am not sure if a Cal 21 has a lead keel or a steel bullet keel like the Cal 20. If it is a lead keel like mine I would recommend not dropping the keel unless you just have to because it will cost you a lot more to do that and replace the bolts than just have more put in like I did. The second option that I looked at was to have them encase the keel in fiber glass but that was going to cost more than putting the bolts in. I think the later model Cal's all had their lead keels encased in fiber glass but I could be wrong. Just an idea, good luck with the keel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook