SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 30 Mk II Tanks
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011

joeording is on a distinguished road
Islander 30 Mk II Tanks

My girlfriend and I just bought our second sailboat, a 1971 Islander 30 Mk II. There's a long to-do list for it, but something has me puzzled. Where is the water tank? Based on what I've read, there is a tank built in to the boat somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, or much evidence of its existence.

Looking in the bilge, the shape of the (rather shallow) bilge sure looks like the tank is under the cabin sole, slightly left of center. It sounds hollow when I knock on that area. But where is the access? The forward sole board in the head doesn't reveal any access to a tank, nor is there anything obvious in any of the lockers. The only thing I've found that looks like it would go to the tank is a hose in the locker under the kitchen sink. It goes down under the cabin sole, and the off to port, but it's routed behind/under the area where the stove and drawers in the galley are, and I have no idea where it terminates.

The way the water system is set up now is there's a pressure regulator for the shore water in the cockpit, which goes to a tankless water heater, which is plumbed to the sink in the galley and the sink in the head. Those sinks drain straight out via their own thru-hulls. No tank, no pump, etc.

There is no other deck fill for a water tank, just one for the fuel tank, but the deck has been painted, so it could've been patched over and painted over well enough to hide its location.

The only other thing I can think of is the fittings are in the bilge opening, which is full of scummy water and I haven't cleaned it out yet. I've got some bilge cleaner marinating in there at the moment, perhaps all will be clear when I get that cleaned out.

I also wonder where the holding tank should go. At the moment the head is direct discharge, which is a no-no since we're trying to get it ready for liveaboard in a marina. The thru-hulls for the head are under the starboard dinette, and the locker has a cutout that seems like it was meant to fit a smallish tank. Is this where other people have their holding tank? I've read about people having it in the v-berth, which doesn't sound terribly appealing since the thru-hulls are the opposite direction, and potential smells since that's where we'll be sleeping.

In summary: is there a tank under the cabin sole? If so, how do I get at it? If not there, where is your water tank? Where is your holding tank?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook