SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
ummm, uhhh, how do I put this tactfully....

Jesus, Mary and Joesph, have you lost your mind?

There is no snob factor here, I'd rather arrive alive. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Yes, I understand that you "can" do a rounder with a Mac26X, Why would you want to? There are people that have done it in a kayak too, I wouldn't be one of those either.

There are any number of boats in the same price range that I would feel much safer on.
No, let me rephrase that... THERE ARE PLENTY OF BOATS IN THAT PRICE RANGE THAT I WOULD BE SAFER ON.

If your concern is trailerability, then fine, go with a 26x if you want, keep it out of winds more than 10kts, or waves more that 3 ft, you'll be fine.
An more than that, tighten your PFD, hope for the best, and be prepared for major damage repair if you get back to the dock.

I know of 3, on ONE lake, that are for sale, because the soon to be former owners thought these were the best thing since sliced white bread and sex with an amputee. One former owner was scared off of the water for good, One has marked his down to 5k less than he paid, and the third has purchased a 1978 Catalina 27, to replace his 1999 26x... does that tell ya anything? Hmmm?
And before I get barked at by Mac lovers, I believe they are good boats for what they do. Just know the limitations.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook