SailNet Community - View Single Post - A few thoughts on electronics & keeping watch
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
I don't exactly know how fast a tanker can go, but base on some 30ish year old books I read, from the time a tanker pops up on the horizon, it takes about 12 minutes to reach you(if your not moving)... Now if you add the incredible speed of a catamaran or a trimaran, lets say 10 to 15kts, I can ensure you that if your on a head to head collision course it doesn't take long before you collide...If your wachting a movie or doing anything else down in the cabin, by the time you hear your radar's alarm, you might not have the time to put on your fowl weather gear and get in the cockpit... I would defenetly want to have some one already in the cockpit ,keeping a good lookout.
Cross posted from Cruisers' Forum:

As I commented in this thread:

Reader's Digest Story of the s/v 'Emerald Jane' - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

this book made me quite annoyed. Like howling in exasperation and chucking it across the room annoyed. I only recommend it to people who enjoy the sight of head-on crashes with drunken driving as the cause. It inspired me to always keep a deck watch...so I can avoid auto-piloted boats in the loosely charted South Pacific who pick sunset as a good time for everyone to go below and watch a movie.

These people lived IN SPITE of what happened to them. I finished this book two weeks ago, and my feelings have hardened even more, and I found the whole "drama" aspect to be written with an eye to securing a movie deal. Also, as an aside, prayer is no substitute for seamanship.

Seamanship used to mean keeping watch and keeping plots, DR and running fixes. Hint: IT STILL DOES. The fact that we have electronic aids to perform and keep track of many of these tasks...allegedly to a higher degree of accuracy...does not excuse us from the task of interpreting and evaluating that data on an ongoing basis. That means "Hmm...I am supposed to be seven miles off a reef. Why do I hear surf and see spray a quarter-mile ahead? Does not compute. Better heave to/turn 90 degrees/turn 180 degrees/call all hands on deck".

It does NOT mean "let's watch trailers for upcoming Pixar releases and make popcorn!"

One sincerely wonders why some people go to sea in the first place if all they want to do is to reproduce suburban rec rooms.