SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yorktown
Thread: Yorktown
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011

trlrtrsh is on a distinguished road
Hello all Yorktown Owners. I just purchased a 39' center cockpit built in 79-80. I have been busy on it and am making some progress, and trying to get some day sailing in when I can. The Boat was formally owned by people who took reasonably good care of it. I have replaced most of the electronics, and upgraded to a intigrated system That is quite an improvement over the old. The sails are good, Roller furling jib with about 110 jib, and a new Head Sail. I converted the head to an electric one, and am currently redoing the shower compartment. The boat is powered by a Lehman 4 cylinder 50hp deisel.
I had the boat pulled out and worked on the bottom replacing/adding thru hull transducers.
I really like the boat, but need to get out more to learn it's capabilities. This is my first Sail Boat, and I have limited experience, took ASA sailing in mid 80's. I try to get experienced crew to go out with me, and have been lucky so far.
For a 30yo boat I think she's in very good shape. There are some systems that don't work as advertised, but most of those I have tracked down to short cuts, or failure to do a complete job by previous owners. The boat is a Mexico Vet. and I think very seaworthy and dry.
I have the original owners manual and the boat was one that was originally built at the factory, not a kit boat.
I am looking to chatting with other Yorktown owners, and answer any questions if I can about the boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook