SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangers of LED navigation lights
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
This is the write up from Bebi Electronics on the subject. They reference Annex I Paragraph 9 of the COLREG's.

Bebi Electronics-What Our Marine RV & Off Grid LED Specifications Mean
An Bebi also says this:

"If you have insurance and you are involved in a collision at night, your claim may be dis-allowed if you have a non-OEM light bulb, whether it is an LED, incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent, in the fixture, regardless of the real reason for the collision."

With the cost of pre-made USCG certified fixtures coming way down in price I find it to be a false economy to use lights that are unknown as to whether they really meet the standards or not. The only way to know for sure is to have them tested by a lab like Imanna. If a manufacturer is not willing to put their money where their mouth is why should I pony up? By the way Bebi's statement that no aftermarket buls carry a USCG certification is a flat out mis-truth. There are four DR. LED bulbs that are USCG certified for use in certain Aquasignal Series 40 housings. I have the certification reports from Imanna stored on my hard drive. I still prefer a purpose built LED nav light as opposed to aftermarket bulbs, and I own two Dr. LED certified nav light combos. The Dr. LED bulbs have not proven to be very reliable and my Hella Series 32 LED's have been very reliable. When the next Dr. LED bulb fails the entire fixture will get replaced with a purpose built unit.

Having been involved in a night time death that involved a solid week of forensic navlight & navlight testimony, well before LED's, I am fairly confident that if my friends father had been using aftermarket LED's the drunk that killed him, by running him over, would have walked..

The defense lawyers left no stone unturned in their nav light investigation from voltage, to possible wiring faults to the flag possibly obstructing the stern light.... An LED that did not meet color, axis or otehr requirements would have made their job a slam dunk..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-25-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook