SailNet Community - View Single Post - Webcam to watch your boat -- Done! And how-to.
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
If you want to cut down on the web traffic and get instant access to your pictures you might consider setting up a simple web server like apache and having that server send an email every hour or so of just the ip address. Then on demand you can call up that ip address and look at your boat at that moment.

The idea of a smart phone doing this is interesting. Android phones do not need to have a sim card to work with wi-fi. I wonder if there is a app that would do this. You could then buy an old generation. A Nexus One is about 300. You could even take flash pictures if the app allowed it.
Allene,

The marina's internet set-up does not allow any inbound requests. I could set it up to send a snapshot every 1 hour instead, but I like getting the fresh update, and the images are only 22K in size.

There is a service called DDNS that will give you a virtual dedicated IP address, by the way. It just won't work at the marina. I do have a Plan B. If it works, you will be able to connect to the webcam, pan/tilt, and check out the interior of the boat.

Good idea on the droid not needing wifi. I have something that I'm building for the Droid, not ready to talk about it yet though. Still have a bunch of work to do on it.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook