SailNet Community - View Single Post - Child of the Year
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that Jessica had more experience than Robin Lee Graham, was intimately involved in all aspects of fitting out Ella's Pink Lady for the voyage, and had thousands of miles, including captaining a 35' sailboat on a Tasman Sea crossing before she left. For you to dismiss her voyage as a stunt because she was sixteen at the time of her setting out on her circumnavigation clearly shows you don't have a damn clue about what you're saying.

Unlike Abby Sunderland, Jessica was pretty clearly in charge of her voyage and making her own decisions. You probably should read her blog's entries that were made during her voyage, before saying anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Those gentlemen were experienced mariners. They all had many, many miles of bluewater under their keels. They also didn't need a small army of paid and unpaid advisors, consultants, and hangers-on to get their boats ready, plan their voyages, and constantly keep them from disaster once they left the harbor. In short, they all knew what they were doing and what they were getting into.

Edit:
Oops. When I saw Robin Lee Graham's name I thought "Robin Knox-Johnson". I suppose he didn't have much, if any, bluewater sailing experience. However, he didn't attempt a non-stop circumnavigation, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook