SailNet Community - View Single Post - In-mast furler; to buy or not to buy;
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One point. A double line reefing system is actually a lot better in terms of being able to control sail shape. This is especially the case as the sails get larger. With a single line system you can not control the tension on the foot of the sail as well and can't control the sail shape as easily as you can with a double line system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfox View Post
Once again I have learned a lot from reading a sailnet thread.
I am fortunate that we bought our present 37 foot yacht set up with Harkan Batcars & a very good single line reefing system for the main.It enables me to put in reefs without leaving the cockpit and at any point of sail.
Just before Christmas we were on a 60 mile coastal sail when our forecast 15 knots (on a broad reach) went to 30knots and gusted up to 40 knots.I put 3 reefs in without drama while my wife steered downwind.A couple of rolls in the headsail and comfortable sailing at up to 8.5 knots.
We are looking for our next yacht which will be bigger and many of those available have in mast furling.
What I have learned from this forum has reinforced my previous views that, for me,single line reefing is essential. It also rules out any yacht that has in mast furling because of the cost to change over.
This is a personal decision of mine and no reflection of anyone elses choice.
Thanks again for your contributions and advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook